This WEGA is in for restoration. It is a beautiful dual dial scale radio. It receives from Long wave up through high Short wave. The right dial scale is used as a band width for some of the SW bands. That makes tuning in stations that are grouped together rather pleasant experience. It is like a fine tuning control.
I took plenty of pictures of the packing. I hope to get the packing the same for the return trip to the owner. There was no shipping damage.
The speaker wires were disconnected from the audio output transformer along with the loose tuning tube bracket and tone switch mounting screws. I suspect some one was working on this unit prior to shipping. Some guys refuse to touch prior work.
Now prior work does not bother me. Practically every vintage radio has been worked on. It is rare to find a radio that has not see the repair shop or at least had some tubes replaced. It is OK by me as long as the person before me uses good judgment, practices and stops before going beyond the "point of no return". If you ever want to tackle gear that has been modified try some Ham Radio boat anchors. Those can be quite a challenge. Besides, I too had to start learning on a radio!
Challenge of The Tone Controls
There are two little holes drilled in the backs of each tone control. There is a practice where one drills a little hole to squirt in some contact cleaner. These controls did not need the extra hole. Unfortunately, the holes were drilled just behind where the carbon element is located. Here is how I fixed this problem.
FM tuner inspection.
I removed the tuner to access the resistors and capacitors. I found all ceramic capacitors and two resistors. The resistors measured with in specifications and were left in place. All ceramic capacitors were left in place. The unit was dusted lubricated and reinstalled. I put some pictures here for the curios. The unit can be tricky to remove and reinstall. The dial cord has to be let loose.
The cabinet restoration begins.
This finish looks great for a radio as old as I am. I intend to restore or conserve the original finish with a cleaning and minimizing the dings in the lacquer finish. The mineral spirits is not an aggressive cleaner. That is good for the original lacquer finish. I do not want to disturb it.
I discovered a great way to match worn edges and discolorations. This is a set of artists charcoal colors. Dampen a finger with odorless mineral spirits, rub finger on closest matching color and transfer to area needing tinting. Repeat with a mixture of colors to create a better match. Spray with a can of spray lacquer. Repeat with other colors. Create dark streaks to match grain.
The best part of using charcoals is if you use a wrong color, wipe it off with a rag dampened in mineral spirits. It takes about 5 seconds to erase your mistakes (before spray lacquer) and it is easy to remix colors right on you finger. The mineral spirits allows you to see it "wet" as it would look after being lacquered. A shot of clear lacquer covers the repair. BUT this radio needs a high gloss shine. The cabinet has to be sent out to an expert polisher.
Back from the polisher
This cabinet was sent out to be over coated with clear Lacquer to blend all of the little repairs. The original finish, stain. highlight pin stripes and aging of the stain (under the original lacquer) has been maintained. The cabinet was polished and buffed to a high gloss finish by an expert wood finisher. I was not able to polish and buff this cabinet to this high gloss sheen with my limited resources, at this time.
The chassis has been restored, the cabinet dings, nicks and scratches repaired lacquered and buffed. Now it is time to reassemble all the parts.
Not depicted is the fussing and nit picking I do with the re-assembly. For example; I cleaned and treated the knobs with BRASSO on the trim rings and Glayzit for the plastic. A tooth brush is used to remove the BRASSO from the knurls. The brass trim around the wood face gets a cleaning. Foam Rubber gaskets, that keep the dial scale from vibrating on the cabinet, and others are replaced. The chassis is centered left, right, forward, back, up & down and tilt if any. The tuning indicator is centered. Wires are dressed and checked. And this is not all I will do.
Damage needing repaired
Perhaps the unit took a hard hit. A tone control bezel snapped off. The internal AM antenna dial cord jumped off of the pulleys. And a wire broke from the terminal strip and silenced the unit.
I ship radios by UPS with $1000 insurance. The $1000 insurance gets signatures from each UPS person that handle the package (at least that is what I was told by a driver and a UPS shipping package center). I receive a signed receipt from the driver when they pick up the package.
So far I have not had any devastating shipping damage. But I suppose shipments are not immune from some level of rough handling. I made no damage claim. I will use any shipper the owner chooses.
135,912 unique web site visitors (14,499,000 hits) from October 2004 through August 2011.
Copyright © 2004 - 2012. All rights reserved.